Friday, February 10, 2023

elaine t / Feb 10

 Finally an update. I finished the Wisconsin winter lakefront sunrise and am pleased with it. It gives me the cold wild feeling that I love.


I've been in a creative slump, and had the urge to explore neutral colors, and granulating colors. I got a few new colors that give me a very visceral pleasure.


I recalled how much I like Chicago surrealist Getrude Abercrombie's work. I'm going to try a couple of paintings in her style and colors to see if I get inspired. I'm also not using a photo reference, just painting from memory to have a looser feel.

Abercrombie's "Walk at Midnight" (one of my favorites)


My new painting. It has the feel I'm after, but my mental vision is several steps ahead of what you see here. I think it's going to work.





4 comments:

  1. Wow! Slump? I am not seeing that at all. I love the Wisconsin lakefront sunrise. It's got such a cold, quiet, crisp feeling. It makes me feel serene and peaceful. I'd frame it and hang it where I start my days. Can't wait to see your new colors in use. And your newest painting is lovely. It evokes a feeling and makes you want to know the story. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that lake painting, so pale and empty and cold, but just a tint of color like early feb when winter is still going strong but mornings are coming sooner and evenings are becoming later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exquisite lake scene. The trees!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The lake scene captures the cold so well, and is the picture of restraint when it comes to the sky and snow. Lovely work.

    ReplyDelete