Sunday, February 5, 2023

Alan sometimes faster is better


 I brought this in because I’m inspired by Chicago alley paintings. This is watercolor on a gesso coated canvas that shows my alley during the henge.  I was able to create more texture by laying on more gesso before painting.



Now here’s a crazy thing. I painted this lily over several hours. It’s watercolor on aquaboard. 


I liked some stuff and didn’t like other stuff but my main complaint was the composition. I didn’t like the top part and its relation to the bottom two thirds. So I used a Yupo trading card tablet and did this version under 10 minutes. 


I liked it so much better and I tried making a larger version on bigger Yupo. It’s not better. Sometimes it’s like catching lightning in a bottle. 


Two more trading cards on Yupo. Each done under 10 minutes. Maybe more for the Lake Michigan lighthouse because I had to wait for it to dry before scratching off some color back to the white. 




Then I started a watercolor on aquaboard that depicts my backyard at night. It’s going to be hard to show the night but maybe I can use some ideas from the lighthouse. 



3 comments:

  1. Love the light in your alley. Also, the lines and poles make it feel so familiar to any Chicagoan. I like all your lilies, but the small Yupo one really does have more energy and a sense of the water. It's my favorite of the lilies, too. I love your backyard and can't wait to see how the painting turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cut the top off of that lily painting and it will be fine…love the alley & backyard scenes…

    ReplyDelete
  3. The alley is good, I think the middle lily is the best because you didn't give it any structure. You might put more night into you background by having some light come out the door, but I don't see any easy way to do that.

    ReplyDelete