Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Moving along…


 Well, here she is, all framed and ready for their portrait wall.


Here’s the other two paintings I’ve been working on. The vegetable study is done I think.it’s a little busy, but I love the vibrancy of the colors. It says “fall harvest” to me….The one of Ben and Quinn has a sweetness to it that I’m afraid of losing if I mess any more with the faces.I wish I could master the patches of sunlight on their skin and clothes. They need more warmth, but yellow is not the answer I don’t think….


4 comments:

  1. That will be a proud addition to anyone's portrait wall. I love the way you brought it back. I also love the painting of Ben and Quinn. You have the tenderness of the relationship and the heavy hot lazy feel of the day. I agree that you don't need anything more on the faces. Not sure how to add warmth, but I love the patches of light. And with all that summer subtlety, the riot of color in the fall harvest painting makes for a nice change of seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the composition of both portraits. I always like triangles. I don’t know what colors you would use for the highlights. I just start with watered down transparent colors and blot immediately if they’re too dark and keep adjusting the color. This is not a technique that I recommend when I see the formulas of others, but it usually works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The portrait paintings are so refined and exquisite. Ruth brought back to her essence working wonderfully with her background. And the sun-dappled unbearable lightness of being of father and daughter is beautifully wrought. The fruit/vegetable medley is a Matisse dance of color and movement. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruth is indeed well done. The vegetables have a pleasing order. I wonder if blotting in the sun patches so that they don't have those hard edges would work.

    ReplyDelete