Tuesday, October 24, 2023

Framed again…


 Framing this sort of took away its edginess imo…is it the gray mat that washes it out? A cream colored one didn’t do it much justice either..l do think the white trim needs to be toned down quite a bit, just as Alan suggested.
I’ve been working on this piece a person on at a time, but still a ways to go. I like it so far. But I wish I started on better paper…but really I did start it as a study. As Greeta pointed out in class, it is helpful to work out your issues on a study.


5 comments:

  1. In truth, the matting does not bother me. I’m not one of those “cream colored mats only” people. But the mat affects the feeling of the piece.

    I think you’ll get there with the beach scene whether on this piece of paper or another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the mat is too wide, just a lot of empty space if you ask me, not that anybody has ever asked me about mats. I don't understand you guys and your bad paper. You don't paint with bad paint or bad brushes, so why paper? Myself I stick with the same paper for every painting. Oh wait nobody has asked me about that either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm.... you're right about the mat. Something about it dulls the painting and makes the trim stand out in a way it doesn't in real life. Maybe you need a white mat like the trim? I don't know. Anyway, you're doing a lot of framable art lately--and that beach scene is going to be another. It looks great--just the essence of mom and the girls at the beach on a sunny day. You can feel the sun and their relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah, it seems the gray mat doesn't do the painting justice. How about white or just a bit off-white. The gray just blends into the concrete color and diminishes it. (Needless to say, don't listen to Ken about mats or paper.) Meanwhile, the beach girls are looking good.

    ReplyDelete