Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Fiddling Around….

 


I darkened the foreground of the garage scene and added a chair shadow to give it a little more character. Also trying to make the garage a little more gray than blue. I think it has more of a mood now, although not sure what mood that is…

Not sure if the Ruth portrait is done, but I have to step away before I make her hair any bigger. I think her blouse needs a few stronger shadows for a little balance. I just need a little distance from both of these, so I’ll be painting leaves in Door County for a few days!

5 comments:

  1. I like the graying of the garage. It makes the window and the car stand out and gives the whole painting more of an atmosphere. I like the shadow as well. Funny how much such a small touch can add. As for Ruth, I don't remember her brows being so thick, but I could be wrong. And I agree with you about the hair. I wouldn't go out any further, but I might bring her hairline in further on the shadowed side of her forehead. Again, I'm not looking at the reference but only going by memory, so ignore anything that isn't right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the darkening of the driveway and the shadow, aethereal can be nice but sometimes it can be too much. Still not crazy about that hose, but hey, you are the artist.

    I think Ruth is done. Who cares how strong the shadows on her blouse are?

    ReplyDelete
  3. One more thing.... I'm glad you kept the portrait background so soft and suggestive. It's interesting and defines the space but doesn't detract from her. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the blue better and was sad to see it go. On a more positive note, I really liked the darkening of the driveway and the shadow. A side effect is that the hose is a more integral part of the painting and does not look just added later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Sara, you've changed Ruth too much. The eyebrows and hair has gotten too dark, too thick and too definite. Before, the hair was so beautifully sublime the way the colors evolved and moved out and away.

    The darkening of the driveway, et. al. made a big difference, and the chair with its shadow. The garage itself still seems a bit harsh in comparison...

    ReplyDelete