Saturday, December 30, 2023

December 30, 2023 — Elaine O.

Well, what with the holidays and all, I've finally returned to Monet's chickens. I'm intrigued enough by chickens to do this again, taking all the lessons I learned here. I think I need more "chicken sketching" before I'm confident enough to really get their shape and movement. Also, I tried some new texturing techniques on the ground and I both overdid it and stopped too soon. Next year!

Monet's Chickens    14" x 11"

Have a wonderful New Years Day and a wonderful new year. 

4 comments:

  1. The chickens are wonderful, especially like the big one and the black one to the right. The other two need a little more definition imo. But the wall, the greenery and the ground all look good. The painting looks unified, just enough green to set off the red cockscomb and the background wall is interesting but not overwhelming. And I like the zigzag composition. A very successful painting imo, so if you paint it again, don’t lose that vibrant immediacy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like the zigzag composition and of course the chickens, but have a little problem with the white hen. She appears to be looking away but then what is that spot where her head would be? Maybe she is preening herself like Daddio, but it's not clear. I would like kind of a pebbly combo of raw and burnt sienna on the ground to set off the white chickens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great zigzag composition as everyone as said. It all looks fresh and lively. And maybe that one white chicken has lost her head...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah. I can’t figure out what’s happening with the other white 🐓. Chicken feet are uglier than you painted. Hard to believe people eat them. Like human hands, chicken feet can take hours of practice.

    Excellent wall and grasses in the background like you always do.

    ReplyDelete