Sunday, December 10, 2023

Alan Fall 14

 I sketched this looking out our classroom window on a cloudy day. I realized that I was afraid of the ink and determined to go further with it. It is, after all, a pen and ink drawing. So I spent more time drawing and less time painting. Still too concerned with painting within the lines and trying to paint cars. 


I decided to do an actual painting from my sketchbook and used my sketch from the farmer’s market in Beloit as the basis. I was surprised to find that I liked some things in my quick sketch more than my Yupo painting i.e. the radishes. The blotch on the girl’s black jacket is a reflection of light off the shiny fixative.


This is the “tea layer” of a painting based on my sketch of the Ohr-O’Keefe Museum in Biloxi. I liked the color values and the basic shape of the piece but hated how intrusive the trees and branches were. So I free painted this layer to put in the basic shapes and colors and now I have to define the shapes and deepen the color values. 

Quick sketch:

Ł

Formal painting:



4 comments:

  1. I really like the fire station. Looks like you don't need to fear any ink. That's a fine balance of paint to line and a great choice of color. I'm glad you did the farmers market sketch as a full painting; the textures of the produce are wonderful on Yupo. Are you finished with the pod painting? I like the greenery on the sketch and the way it reflects into the shiny pod.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fire station drawing/painting is exquisite. Just the right amount of both lines and color. It's a great rendition of that area and a fine addition to your sketch book. Yupo seems to luv veggies. I kinda like the creepy tree branches on the original sketch. It gives it a certain "je ne sais quoi".

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot in that street scene. Even if there is not that much paint it does not look like the ink rules and the paint just showed up for dessert. Love vegetables on yupo, and think I will like it on that pod. In the earlier days of Google Earth when you went for the satellite view it would show the trees as these strange spongy things not unlike paint on yupo before it is shaped by the master.

    ReplyDelete