Saturday, December 2, 2023

Alan Fall 13



 I’m trying to find a way to greatly reduce the amount of watercolor paraphernalia that I drag around so I can “urban sketch” or paint “plein aire.”  So I’ve been watching a lot of YouTube videos by people who have done this. Here are a couple of examples of what I discovered that make it easier to paint outside or to join in urban sketching groups. I currently take photos and use those as reference but I am moving toward sketching and painting from real life. Here’s one:


And here’s another:


Included are: sketch pad, small watercolor palette, water brush, fine tipped ink pen, piece of paper towel, and a small flowcharting template. I might also carry a couple of watercolor brushes if I have a water source and some greyscale tombow markers.

So here’s some stuff.

I was going to paint first and draw second but I decided not to do that because I liked it the way it was. 


Here an abstract of an iris all done with the tools above. 


I’m going to revisit this market scene and try to make the shadow better ( but I’ve tried before). I might make a real painting of this after what I’ve learned from the sketch. 

This is a quick sketch of a place we used to go on the coast.  I thought it would be too complicated but the sketch taught me otherwise.  Like the beer bottle.


This is from a photo I took at the Ohr-O’Keefe Museum in Biloxi. I think this might make a good real painting (maybe on Yupo).


Here’s a beginning of a drawing that we should all be familiar with. We’ll see. 



5 comments:

  1. First of all, I love that iris! I also really like your sketchbook--it's so cool when they have a cohesive theme. There's something intriguing and Hockney-esque about the restaurant sketch--the emptiness with a hint of human presence and the clean edges and colors. I'd like to see a full painting of the farmers market.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those trees over the Quonset huts! Beautiful colors and reflections, lots of motion I the branches. And the bar sketch is made by the beer bottle!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those flowers look good the way they are but now I wonder how they would look with the drawing. I'd like to see them. You may lose a masterpiece but masterpieces are a dime a dozen. I like the iris, not that I could tell what it is, but who cares? Iris's are a dime a dozen. That woman does not look like she is shadowed, she looks like she hasn't washed her face. is that a Red Stripe? I don't like the trees, they are just too rowdy against the little melody of lines which make up the rest of the painting. Can I call it a painting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about the trees and may call it a sketch.

      Delete
  4. I luv your painting-on the-run supply kits. The accordian sketchbook is full of beautiful works of art. They really look great and work well together in that format. It's been cool to see how the sketches/ paintings have evolved using watercolor and ink.

    ReplyDelete