Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Alan Winter 1

 All right!  I added some darker values to the trees. I don’t know if it’s enough for you but I can add more. On Yupo. 8 1/2 by 11  


A little something for Christmas. I followed a YouTube lesson about negative painting. I’ll do better next year. Cold press 6 X 8.


I finished the Columbus Park lagoon sketch. It’s a little more subtle in real life. The camera really picked up the yellow-green. If you look close you can see Geoffrey Baer in the background. On hot press 5 X 10.


I was looking down my street towards Clark last night and I did this urban sketch of the Citgo gas station on the corner. I’m determined to do more cars. 


Looking at it further, I think I’ll try to make the sky darker and do some more work with the trees. On hot press 5 X 5. 

5 comments:

  1. Even if you think it's too saturated, I like the lagoon painting a lot. The composition and contrast are beautiful and it conveys a mood. I also like the gas station. Great atmosophere--and the cars look good! Cars are surprisingly difficult to paint, aren't they? I think I'll take a page from your book and paint somewhere with a lot of cars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #1 Columbus Park - A lot of interesting pieces that combine with each other nicely. #2 The Alley - You are getting better at cars, but maybe the tires could be more subtle. #3 The poinsettia - Maybe a bolder green for the leaf. #4 The pod - The trees are fine, but the pod is kind of an odd thing, we don't know what they look lke in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, your cars are great! I like the atmospheric quality of the gas station, the light halos, the upward lighting on the trees. I like the lagoon sketch too, different kind of atmosphere….the poinsettia seems to be all painted at the same value. It needs a little variation or contrast between dark and lights.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Correct. I blew the exercise on the second instruction and couldn’t recover without starting over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Columbus Park is striking! A dramatic interpretation and great choice of colors for such a vast vista. The red/green painting lacks the punch that usually comes with using complementary colors. Usually focusing on negative space/ positive shape can really strengthen a composition. Here, it's all muted because of the lack of value contrast, as Sara astutely mentions. The latest alley view has a great feeling to it. The gray sky with the glowing streetlights are too cool. And the tree leaf interpretations. Keep going with the cars, especially the tires. Sometimes we paint/draw more what we think we know rather than what we really see. I think that's the case here. The need to look at the actually shapes and spaces in relationship to each other rather than what the thing is. Sometimes looking at the picture upside down helps with that. The yupo painting has a charming look about it.

    ReplyDelete