Saturday, January 7, 2023

Keeping busy….



 Inspired by Greeta’s bulb studies, I painted my amaryllis bulb and a small jug of lavender— both painted from real life directly with no drawing, 7x10. I like the bulb especially.





I’ve been working on three studies of Quinn in the marsh. The head portrait was painted directly and the other two I sketched first. The first two capture her rosy cheeks and sweet smile; the third one looks more like her older sister, but I like the background & composition. The third one is painted on 300lb paper, which makes all the difference. But I would really like to achieve a cross between the first one and last one in terms of style. I like the energy of the first one & the refinement of the third one-but is that a contradiction of terms?the first two are 7x10 & the last one is 9x12.

3 comments:

  1. You're back in the groove! I love the composition on the last painting. I know it shouldn't work with her looking out of the frame and positioned at the corner....but it works beautifully. Prime example of the exception proving the rule and all. I'm not sure what you mean about combining styles on the Quinn portraits. I think the last one is very energetic. It reminds me of Mary Whyte's style...where she has a more realistic focus on her subject and leaves the background very loose. Also, I really like your direct watercolor still life paintings. They're both so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you know me, I love backgrounds. I like the late fall wintry scene on the first one. At first I thought those were mountains in the deep background, but now I see that they are houses. Well done. I like the second background better. You can see that she has come a fur piece, and, with her confident smile, intends to go a fur piece further.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the energy that you are bringing to your latest works. I particularly like the jug with the foliage. Both have really strong movement like you painted them quickly and confidently. I think this is the best painting of Quinn you've done. I've never painted on 300 but I might try to find some and use it.

    ReplyDelete