Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Creating Atmosphere…

 

 
This probably has enough paint on it. While working on this, I kept thinking of a quote from Mitchell Johnson, who does large paintings of houses, chairs, boats, etc. He said, “I’m not painting a picnic table. I’m trying to turn a picnic table into a painting.” Well, I’m trying to turn my nighttime alley into a painting.I think I came close to accomplishing that aim. Still thinking about values over color and trying to create a mood over a picture. And I still have to work on creating more neutral darks.


Revisiting this view of my sister. I like the idea of creating an “iconic” portrait of each of my siblings. I did the one of my brother as a teenager carrying all the cameras on a vacation to Yellowstone. This view of my sister on the California coast has the same resonance for me. But I never really resolved the background to my liking, so I’m taking another shot.

2 comments:

  1. I like the complementary pair you've chosen for your alley nocturne. The values really work well and you get a sense of the lights piercing the dark. I like that painting of your sister. It does seem like a good choice for an iconic painting--a great idea, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nocturnal and somnolent, with just a hint of menace, the way we urbanites like our allies, or is that just me?

    ReplyDelete