Saturday, February 13, 2021

Social Distance at the corner of Ashland & Berwyn

 The corner of Ashland & Berwyn has 2 massive buildings: the Evangelical Church at SE corner & the multifamily rental at the NE. Pre Pandemic, the Church pulsates with activity & music every Sunday morning. Parishioners, cheerful in their church finery used to walk in front of my house. In front of the multi storey,  the diverse tenants with their kids running around, used to shoot the breeze at the sidewalk at the corner. Even an elderly guy planted h


imself in his plastic chair at the sidewalk to watch the world go by. The corner has been quiet & lonely since last year!                                                            After the one foot snowfall last week, I went outside  to admire the white stuff. The view in front of my house at the left side became my inspiration for this project. White Christmas in January! The City just plowed & salted Ashland avenue. My neighbor kindly shoveled our sidewalk.The branches of the Cherry tree & other trees were heavy with snow. I painted the Church signs as "Pay" with snow covered letter R & also the timely verse "This too shall pass!" Two hardy souls walked. The orange coat guy walked his dog. The guy in blue was determined & steady as he came near me. I was going to shout " good  morning" to him  but he evaded me! I then realized I forgot to wear my face mask! And that is my social distance experience at the corner of Ashland and Berwyn!

5 comments:

  1. I'm loving the snow paintings. I especially like the shadows on yours and the movement in the tree branches. Good composition, too and I'm glad you included people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just a beautiful painting. The colors, composition, the way it’s painted, just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the way the trees seem to move. Beautiful scene.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the snow covered tree, and just now I am noticing the buildings on the left and well done on them, their extreme foreshortening gives a good perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've been doing the greatest Chicago snow paintings, Susan. I think, maybe a calendar of all snow is forthcoming.

    ReplyDelete