Saturday, August 22, 2020

Sara’s August Daze....

When I’m not sitting outside, dazzled by the blue skies, green trees and low humidity, I’ve been working on this painting. I’m thinking of doing another version, somewhat bigger, so I can get a little more detail in the faces. But I’m not sure about the composition. Does the bottom half overpower the top? Is it too much yellow and purple? I want the focus on the baby but there’s a lot going everywhere else? Thoughts?


Here’s the green trees and blue skies I’m talking about, altho this is from a photo I took lying on my couch! 


Two sketches from this morning. Joe left on his bike ride before I could finish sketching, so I was forced to draw everything else around him.
On  the sunflower I was trying to create shadows and detail instead of just outlining.
Happy dazing!

2 comments:

  1. Where to begin?! You've been so busy. I like the idea of going bigger on the first one. You've got such a nice yellow/violet complementary color scheme going, I'd keep the colors, but maybe soften them and the edges so there's not so much value contrast? Then, all the softer colors circle around the baby face. She's looking at us, too, so she's the focus.

    I love the view from your window. The shadow is wonderful. The Joe sketch looks good and feels pretty balanced, even though he left. I like the way you've picked out some details and added some shading on the sunflowers, while keeping the outline in other places. It's composed so well, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I luv that first painting. With the baby looking directly at the viewer. I think the composition and the colors are great. It's hard to tell with the curving of the bottom, high contrast spirals and the dark cast shadow on one side, if it needs any adjusting value-wise. Try cropping it to see how it really looks. The pants may need some subtleties or other areas darkening, hard to tell as is.

    The out the window sketch looks good thus far. Nice lying on the coach view!

    And Joe without Joe is good. As is your Asian-esque flower sketch. It has rhythm they way it flows up/down the page.

    ReplyDelete