Saturday, August 8, 2020

Gilt-headed bream



As I was leaving Sulzer Library a couple weeks ago, Kris asked why I never have painted fish.  Well it had never occurred to me, but I got to thinking about it, and I remembered that I had had tropical fish when I was a teenager, so I went hunting the internet for images, and they all seemed meh.  Then I went to the Art Institute a couple Thursdays ago I wandered into that area where they have the old Greek and Roman mosaics and found myself face to face with this fish.


And it knocked me out.  I have painted mosaicky things in the past, but what I was doing was just breaking images up into tiles and I never bothered to make them look like tiles, but now I want them to look like tiles, so that is something new.  I think I may use this image for several paintings, there are so many possibilities.

Om a different subject I am thinking of having a little opening for my show next Saturday.  Some of my neighbors will be coming and maybe two or three from my improv group.  You all are invited, but if you don't want to risk it, I understand completely.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, Kris is right... you've never done fish, have you? It sounds like a great new series, especially the mosaic take on the subject. I love those Roman mosaics and can't wait to see more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooo, this looks interesting. And there's some great ancient mosiacs out there - like those from Pompei...

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I saw Kris’ name I thought this was Pat posting! Wow, I thought, she Marie kondo’d her house So well she now has a place to paint!
    Then I wondered, why is Kris asking about fish? Whatever, I like the painting so far, the vibrancy of the colors. They do look like glass tiles.
    How was the AIC? Enough social distancing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your using individual tiles--maybe the start of a new series? I remember the cat paintings you would tile (way back when I first joined the class). Will you be tempted to portray some of your cats (big or little) as Roman mosaics?

    ReplyDelete