Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Ellen August 2020


I found this photo of an elephant resting his head against a tree. I know exactly how he feels! 2020 is exhausting. I mixed FUM, QBO and scarlet lake. Then I washed the elephant and salted the image to get the feel of texture. I was surprised that the blue bled so. I'll use the same three colors in the tree but focus on the QBO and SL mix. The tree is gnarled with thick bark. I'm not sure how to achieve that look. Any ideas?


 

I found  this image of a mother elephant and her cub in a meadow. The feeling was so much lighter to paint. I had fun splattering texture on the hides and flowers in the grass. 

Stay safe and Happy Painting.

5 comments:

  1. Hi, Ellen! I love your elephants. I wouldn't presume to give tree bark texture advice. First of all, Sara probably has the definitive answer; she is the queen of trees. Secondly, you've got a deft hand with texture yourself. Maybe layered dabs and strokes of color?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you talking jargon? With the FUM, QBO and SL? Regardless the elephant skin is amazingly beautiful. And luv the mother/child scene. Delightful. Good to see your work again Ellen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never think about texture until it’s too late, but the texture of the first elephant painting on the left edge could work for tree bark. The salt probably gives that mottled look. And Steve M. is the king of texture imo...Love both of these paintings; your elephant skin colors are beautiful. French ultramarine and quidacridone burnt orange and scarlet lake did the trick! May have to order some QBO....

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me before I saw the elephant, just beautiful paint it could stand alone.

    ReplyDelete