Sunday, August 16, 2020

elaine t., Aug. 16

 "Elmo in the Graveyard"

I wrapped up the direct painting red monument by taking a cue from Sara and putting in Elmo! This is one of those paintings that had an interesting idea (using rainbow colors) that just didn't work out as I hoped. I think I chose an image that is too complicated: the actual monument has ferns, and broken branches, and leaves. Maybe someday I'll try this experiment with a very simple image. I think this *just* escapes being a fancy sacrifice sheet.

"Lori Lightfoot"

The second one is another direct painting. Elaine O's work is very inspiring, and I'm trying to bring some of the spontanaity into mine. I saw this photo of Lori Lightfoot and really liked the skin tones.



5 comments:

  1. Elmo just cracks me up! Nice touch! Actually, the color palette reminds me of something you'd see at sunset in a desert out west. It's definitely NOT a sacrifice sheet.

    And WOW to your Lori Lightfoot painting. You've got all the proportions right, you have a likeness and a great touch with color. Even more than doing everything right technically, you've captured a personality. You've mastered this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't qite make out that monument, but I like the patches of blue and green against the red. Like Lori too, still sticking with her through these tough times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like the way you let Elmo make it work with your painting.
    And the portrait really captures her essence I think. Especially during these times. Well done. With you finding just what both paintings needed to make them be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've captured by the playfulness in Elmo and the seriousness in Lori. They are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ellen here. Ignore the name of summer blog group. Sorry for the goof up. I'll try to fix it.

    ReplyDelete