Saturday, August 15, 2020

August 15, 2020 — Elaine O.

I finished the dual portrait. I'm pretty happy with the faces and some of the background. Although, it feels a bit anachronistic.... like their smiling faces belong in a 50's or 60's illustration; their clothes and phone, not so much.

And from there, I began another portrait.

I know you can't tell much from the faint beginnings above, so here's the direct watercolor preliminary sketch.

And I had a few creative brainstorms (well, more like interesting ideas). Firstly, for my next 30-day project I'm considering copying a painter(s) I admire.  Secondly, borrowing from Sara's self-portrait idea, I ended my sketchbook with a direct watercolor self-portrait. I may make that a theme. I'll begin with a drawing of my current paints/favorite tools and end with a sketch of me.  It'll save overthinking things!

 

 

5 comments:

  1. Girl, you are on a roll! That dual portrait is incredible. The colors are so saturated but nothing is overdone. Love the globe behind them and the look on their faces. Also love your self portrait. Your direct sketches have just gotten so solid! You’re ambitious setting 30 day goals but maybe I need something like that to keep me motivated. Every time I finish a big painting, it takes me a couple of weeks to get back on track.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's why I do sketches—I stall out after I finish a big painting and this is something I can play with until I get my next great idea. And I may need to rephrase "30-day project." I just number the attempts in my sketchbook (#1/30, etc.) and stop at 30. Most of the time, I don't actually do one a day, but it does keep me on track and after 30 times, I can say I've given it a fair shot. Instead of trying something once, failing, and deciding it's not for me.

      Delete
  2. The double portrait looks timeless, like it could be from any decade. And they look older every time you paint them! And your direct sketches/paintings are divine. The self-portrait, especially. Your 30x rather than 30/days is a great concept for working, so that you just do it and have some fun without getting hung up on it.

    Way to go you guys. Sara, I luv those flower ptgs. Amy something was great. How about 30 flowers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I really need a haircut, don't I?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the double portrait! The hands add a lot to the immediacy of the picture--they're in motion, just caught for a split-second. Love the globe in the background too. I could see this being in a Little Golden Book!

    ReplyDelete