Saturday, August 22, 2020

Elaine O. — August 22, 2020

I'm slowly adding layers to this portrait, hoping to capture the likeness and personality before he's totally overworked and loses that "little-kid softness."

I have also been working on my sketchbook project, but I debated posting these. I planned to do 30 copies of paintings by a single artist; I chose Sargent because I love his brushwork and energy—and he's got a great selection of watercolors to choose from. As you can see, though, there's a reason Sargent is Sargent... and I'm not! 




Still, I plan to keep on. There's always something to learn from these projects... I've already found some great new color combinations to explore.

6 comments:

  1. He’s looking good! Remind me once again what you’re skin color palette is. Your base skin is so light but no yellow tinge. I’m having a hard time getting a fair but not yellow skin tone. I love your Sargent sketches. what a great idea to copy from from him. Are you using a limited palette? Do you know his colors?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually just use a version of my three primaries. For this one, he's lemon yellow with alizarin crimson and some vermillion. The shadows are cerulean and ultramarine blue.

      I am using a limited palette for the Sargent stuff, but just my regular limited palette. I did learn his colors from the Art Institute show but I don't have some of the older colors. I think what I have is pretty close. I see he uses viridian a lot, which I find challenging. But he's also a big fan of the Burnt sienna/Ultramarine Blue pair, which is heartening.

      Delete
  2. Also in your portraits do you try to use warm and cool colors or do you just paint?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sort of. I have a warm and cool of each of my primaries and I choose depending on the subject. But I do switch and mix warm and cool when it seems right--and it doesn't seem to get too muddy.

      Delete
  3. Nice looking fellow. Something classic about him. Is somebody pouring him a refreshing glass of lemonade. I like the Sargeants, particularly the last one, has his careless elegance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. The kid portrait is just amazing, Elaine. Anyone we know? It looks almost finished.

    And you're Sargent sketches are great too. I'm glad you posted them and I'm sure you'll discover a lot from doing them. I recognize the last one as it's one I had on hand as an inspo for class. You've got that freshness and as Ken said, elegance of this line. woo-hoo.

    ReplyDelete