Monday, May 20, 2024

Alan Spring 7



 Last year I did a quick and loose Yupo sketch of my hometown of Muskegon. I liked it and some of you did too. 


But I’ve been thinking lately about finishing my work and trying to make it as good as I could. So I painted a larger version on Arches 140# coldpress. Although there are a few dozen errors in it I’m trying to more fully finish this work. This is where I am now and I may be done. If I find other things to do I’ll do them, but Ken will put them under a microscope and declare that he can’t see the difference. It will be tiny things. Here’s the new version. 

A lot of fun and a lot of work. I thought that I would be more accurate with the buildings in the background and looser with the flora in the foreground but it didn’t work out that way. I had to spend as much time on each item whether it was brick and mortar or leaves and flowers. 



4 comments:

  1. Yep, it's done. If I didn't know it was Muskegon, I would have guessed somewhere in Chicago--probably because the decorations on the center building feel like the Chicago flag. I like the windows and the way the flowers add a layer and depth to the cityscape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting how two different techniques create two totally different paintings. I love the looseness of the first one. It has a certain spirit, while the second one has a certain prettiness about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I saw the drawing of the second one I thought, oh this is way too much detail, I don't think he can pull that off. But he did, and look at those plants in the foreground playing nice with the block and keeping their own identities. But then there is Yupo! What a dreamy scene, oh and look at THOSE plants, bursting out of the ground with wild abandon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a difference the paper makes in the style of painting. And the feeling expressed. Very cool. It's great to see them together and I really can't decide which I like best. Not that it matters...

    ReplyDelete