Monday, February 19, 2024

Still pining away


 I was going to try to go kind of deep here.  Despite my hard-as-nails demeanor I have never lost that dreamy adolescent longing for, well who knows what?  The drawing by Seurat of the invalid looking out from the lawn of her hospital at the sparkling city where she used to  be a high society lady.  I thought maybe I'd bring some of that depth here, but I seem to have become more interested in everything else but her.  

Put more detail in the building to compete with the wall, and I like it, but the wall is still winning.  Maybe I will break it into smaller pieces, maybe put a little more paint on her, maybe cry out in rage as I rend the whole thing into a thousand littles scraps of papery despair, you know, something.

3 comments:

  1. Hmm.... I can see you're more interested in her background than in her. And yet, my eye keeps going to her. I want to know her story. She's like an island of calm in this busy world and I can't help but wonder what she's thinking and seeing. Keep her distinct from the background--I'm imploring you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The wall looks like a quilt. It doesn’t go with the building, the tree and trunk, the grass and the woman. It takes the focus that should be on her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the focus is on her because she is so plain and blue like the sky is likewise. I actually think another tree trunk on the right side would be just the touch needed. But only starting at the top leaves, near the edge of the paper and bending slightly to the right and then off the page before it gets to the building. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete