Sunday, February 11, 2024

February 10, 2024 — Elaine O.

I've finished her face and added a gift box.

Don We Now Our Gay Apparel    14" x 11"

But I haven't made a lot of progress on the background. I originally planned to go without, but now I feel it needs some festive elements. So I did some thinking and a few thumbnails, adding a window with a reflection, a tree with lights, etc. But I'm not feeling the love yet. What I liked in the reference was the sparkle of lights all around. But I wonder if a) that might be too distracting, or b) if I can even bring it off!

Pages in a 7" x 5" sketchbook

In the end, I'm going to step away for a bit and see if something strikes me later. 


4 comments:

  1. How about putting a Christmas tree behind her, like she is sitting right in front of her so that it fills the background and has no shape itself, just green and colored lights, and out-of-focus and not very dark so that it doesn't intrude on her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I rather like the idea of a single thing and not a lot of elements. Good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It might be too late for the background. I always have trouble adding background washes at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leave it be. If a tree, just very vague. Her expression wonderful.

    ReplyDelete