Monday, February 5, 2024

Introducing The Invalid


A lot of magenta/ultramarine work done here, especially on the that barge.  Always had a hard time with the red to blue axis, so far from my comfort zone in the yellow to blue.  I used a little purple in the clouds when I first put in those clouds but it was up to its nasty habits of turning brown and staining way too hard, so I put ultramarine on one side of my paintbox and magenta on the other side and mixed them in the middle and then I could pick any color between them.  There were some comments that those clouds did not look much like clouds, but then they aren't clouds, they are paint on paper as is everything else is in the rectangle. 


And here is The Invalid, from what looks like a pastel of Seurat, actually I think he used this image several times.  I'm using the Merchandise Mart as a model for the building in the background.  Tiny windows make for a huge and distant structure.


4 comments:

  1. I wouldn’t know what it was if you didn’t tell me that it was a barge, but I see it. And….. I like It. But I feel there is something that doesn’t connect the bottom right to the rest of the painting. Some void that only you can explain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, great work on the barge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting how the colors are harsher on screen than in person. Anyway, I do like the barge a lot in person. The colors blend beautifully together and the glow from the windows just says twilight. I also love the water--and you know how I feel about that sky! I'm waiting for more of the paint to go on before I comment on the Invalid. Should be interesting to see how the near/far dynamic works--and also the person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mostly what I think when I look at the top painting is “There’s a lot of paint on that paper, in those dense trees, those dense clouds, that sturdy barge.” Somehow all that denseness is balanced by the light ethereal water…it’s a mystery . On the invalid, I like how the tree mimics the shape of the figure.

    ReplyDelete