Sunday, February 18, 2024

Alan Winter 7 - line dancers at Louis Armstrong Park in New Orleans

 I haven’t had the inclination to paint much (sitting like that makes me stiff) but there was a picture I took in New Orleans that I’ve been planning to paint so I did it a few minutes at a time. It’s only 8 1/2 X 11 and I think I should have painted it on larger paper. If I do it again (and I might) I’ll do that. I know I’ve got stuff in the right place but something seems off to me.  


I’ll have to think about it some more and would entertain suggestions to make it better. 

4 comments:

  1. I think it looks good as is. I like the movement from bottom left through to upper right. The vertical lines of the metal gate thing and the verticals of the brown trees. And then the colorful dancing movement of the people in the middle ground.
    Would it help to alternate sitting and painting with standing at an easel and painting where you could walk back and forth a bit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it! That angle of dancers nestled in the park setting is lovely. I like the grounding touch at bottom left, too. The eye moves through this well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything is there, but I just don't sense any movement. Maybe if you showed a bit of the band, maybe the trombone player.

    ReplyDelete