Friday, February 9, 2024

Fav Tia 1.0 by SS

 My Fav Tia was, most of the time,our first visitor among relatives, to our ancestral home when my husband & I visited my Ph hometown during our annual vacation a long time ago. Fresh from attending her daily mass, she arrived with a smile in her face & warm love from her being, she welcomed us with such enthusiasm that the one day travel hassle from Ohare & back, felt worth it. We spent the day laughing & teasing & enjoying each other's company. I felt grateful that in 2016, I took a lot of candid photos, of her, giggling, posing with wacky gestures. She joined the dearly departed the next year. Our annual tradition vacation welcome was never the same. This year, due to my family's current circumstance we are unable to leave Chicago for an extended vacation. Painting my aunty seems a timely decision since this is the usual time we used to celebrate our reunion together. During these weekdays, after the Saturday art class,  I took my time completing her image, her warm-hearted essence, her shy smile due to incomplete dentures, her white hair, her scarves, her brown dress & the tropical leaves as her background. Painting her felt like an artistic time travel & every line, every paint stroke & every color applied helped create a lovely loving memory. Happy Reunion!




4 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. She looks so warm and sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you are definitely hitting your stride with this portrait series. The face is great and the many fine details really add to its quality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Auntie looks like a swell person and she knows what kind of scarf to wear when posing next to palms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely. Especially love the colors.

    ReplyDelete