Sunday, February 4, 2024

Alan Winter 5

 I sent my friend Larry a photo of the painting that I did of him in the play “Marat/Sade” wondering if he’d like to have it and he said, 

“Wow, how ……  horror horror horrifying. No thanks,  I think I’ll take a pass.”

So…..one more painting for the archives. 

Back to the sketchbook here is a quick ink and wash from last fall on hot press. 


A reminder of the last holiday season I painted Greeta getting ready for New Year’s Eve on 140 cold press. I don’t know if it’s done yet. I’ll have to look at it some more. 


It might need some deeper values but I’m happy with the background items (tree, Santas, presents and rug) and I don’t want to mess those up. 

9 comments:

  1. I love the painting of Greeta--her likeness, her posture, the textures of the clothes and the background tree--just everything about it. The colors on the line and wash painting are full on fall and the lines contribute to the crisp feel. I can't believe your friend didn't want that portrait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It goes without saying, non-artists, be they friends, family or strangers, just don't understand/appreciate art. I also recommend to never give away your artwork. The purest work is part of your soul, or an expression made from your soul. I'm sorry you experienced such an exaggerated negative response.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s just Larry’s sense of humor. He didn’t mean that it was a bad painting. I do take it as a compliment. You have to know Larry.

      Delete
  3. I agree with Elaine that Greetah is looking good. Love Greetah's body language and I can't find a thing in the painting to quibble about. And I like the way the ink and the paint work so equally together in the sketch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Painted it first then added the ink just like you suggested before.

      Delete
  4. I would take Larry's comments as an homage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy looking at Greetah's holiday celebration plus the Tree, the Gifts, the Interiors! It is a sweet memory! Please get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should have just sent the painting. People don’t reject presents….the New Year’s Eve painting is very festive but Greeta need more color.she looks a little washed out amid the festive surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is a little washed out in real life!!

    ReplyDelete