Saturday, August 13, 2022

Fun with Yupo

 Here’s a Yupo watercolor of one of my favorite places. I didn’t draw anything and barely put in any structure. I just let the brushes and paint do their thing. After that dried I took out some color to better define some shapes. I could keep going but I kind of like where it’s at. 


I was wrong. Sometimes we see things in a photo that we don’t see in real life. Saw some things that should be better and made them better. Can you tell?



I worked a little on this plein aire sketch I did of a street in New Orleans. A little crooked. 


4 comments:

  1. I like both of these a lot. Is there such a word as yupo-y? Yupoesque sounds better. I love the big globs of leaves on the top, the way they form an arch to the lake, the shore, the trees, and the sky. The other one was is quite different. You know I was going to say something about the trolley tracks in the foreground, but looking again I see that that is the floor of the balcony which makes more sense because who has their grill on the sidewalk?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the top one as it stands, too. Nicely composed, too, leading our eyes to the view through the arch, with lots of interesting bits along the way. I really like the color choices in the bottom sketch and the inked lines. What size is that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of these are really nice. I especially like the New Orleans sketch - the lines the colors, the way it’s painted. But I think it’s a table on the balcony. Who grills in New Orleans with all those fabulous restaurants?!

    ReplyDelete