Saturday, August 6, 2022

Elaine O. — August 6, 2022

I'm really feeling these lazy days of summer, so I thought I'd try painting "quieter" to match the summer vibe. I'm going for a quiet, meditative feel with pale, minimal color and soft blends. I've seen similar paintings (mostly florals) and wanted to try to get the technique down in my sketchbook....

...before I tried to do a larger painting. This one is after an illustration in a book by Julie Collins. She is a master of this!

After Julie Collins    12" x 9"

On the one hand, I'm having fun and really getting into a zone just watching the paint move. On the other hand, I can't seem to resist going darker and higher-contrast. Maybe I'm just not a "quiet" painter. Or maybe I need more practice!


6 comments:

  1. I have her book! I love her stuff, but she paints on vellum I think. I was always able to copy her paintings but could never achieve the same effect on my own. Of course I don’t think I have her complete palette. I’d say you’re doing pretty good…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you might be a fan! Her style reminds me of you, particularly the subtle color. Vellum, huh? That would make a difference in how the colors show up, wouldn't it?

      Delete
  2. Like those photos, see now that's the way watercolors should be done. Watching the paint move is where I have the most fun watercoloring, but taking my eye off the big picture I end up with a lot of different elements that I have to stitch together. I like drama in a painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you when I saw her style...particularly her newer stuff. She said she was always really interested in the paint and used flowers as a vehicle. Now she's more abstract and into letting the paint be the paint. Her paintings are softer and use more white space than you do, but her intention is similar.

      Delete
  3. Well, I just love this. I can see the paint moving still.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely studies. I have a book by Harrison-Tustain and there’s a somilar calla lily study. Something aboyt a softly colored flower on WC paper.

    ReplyDelete