Friday, January 29, 2021

The Conversation in Cebu

 The Conversation painting was inspired by a visit to Cebu, an island in central Ph, which was discovered for Spain in 1521 by Portuguese explorer Magellan. The island capital city is also named Cebu. The Ph became a colony of Spain for 4 centuries until 1898. Ph became the seat of Christianity in Asia. American occupation plus Japanese invasion followed until Ph independence in


1946. Cebu, the birthplace of my late father, is a historical place, a domestic shipping port with international airport & a tourist destination known for "lechon" delicacy or roasted pig. My family toured the oldest city in the Ph with century old houses preserved as heritage sites. Our foursome visited an ancient house filled with vintage items: antique furniture, oil lamp, glass pitcher, orange colored glass creamer sugar set, the icon of Santo Nino, patron saint & a table covered by an elegant crocheted piece. The painting felt like a jigsaw puzzle of interlocking shapes & of complements of darks & lights.The tablecloth was a joy to paint, aided by masking fluid. Unlike my female relatives who could both crochet & chat with ease & abandon,  I never learned to crochet, in my youth, due to my sweaty hands. Finally, I was able to create crochet in watercolor! Happy painting, fellow artists!

2 comments:

  1. I can immediately tell which one is you, Susan. You are great at getting everyone's personality in such a tiny depiction of a person. And good at crocheting in paint too. Not to mention giving us all a history lesson to boot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just the opposite—I can crochet, but haven't the patience for masking fluid! Still, I like yours and the way it just sets the scene without detracting from the subjects.

    ReplyDelete