Saturday, January 9, 2021

Sara branches out




 Well in the first two studies,  I decided just to go for the branches to try to get them out of my system. The third sketch I was thinking more about color mixing and getting darks dark enough to emphasize that column of sunlight. I still have to go darker. These are 6x6 and 6x8.


This is a 10x10 color pencil drawing I’ve been working for a while. I like color pencil because you can see the colors you mix, but it’s very time consuming. And it’s hard to keep color pencils sharpened...The drawing is not the greatest, but again I’m using this to try out different techniques of color mixing. See you in a few!

2 comments:

  1. I know how much trouble all those delicate branches are to paint.... but you really nailed it. Those lacy branches really lead us to the background. And I love your colored pencil portrait. Another medium that requires patience, but you get such lovely results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep making comments and rather than hitting "publish," I hit "older post." geez. Then when I come back to the blog, I'm like where's all my comments? I guess I have O.L.D.

    Anyway, your branch studies are wonderful to look at, Sara. And you colored pencil portrait. It's much clearer to see on the blog than on zoom (obviously). You are a master at the medium.

    ReplyDelete