Saturday, January 2, 2021

Sara’s scattered brains...


 I finished this 9 x 12 ish painting that I started about a month ago. I like some things about but not everything. Those trees look too stiff imo...I also don’t like painting all those tiny little branches, but that is what most interests me about trees. I like the chaos of all the little branches crossing but I don’t really want to paint them as tiny little branches, so I’m trying to figure out some other kind of marks that actually look chaotic. 




So I did a bunch of little sketches from life. The last one is oil or wax pastels.


I developed a couple sketches into paintings.

The top one is a pencil sketch and oil pastel with watercolor. I like that pencil tree, but it didn’t translate to  oil pastel. But I love the colors. The bottom one is watercolor and gouache. I don’t know, I’m a little scattered these days, maybe I’m sick of trees...maybe I should draw a nice solid coffee cup...happy new year—January 20 can’t get here soon enough!

5 comments:

  1. Amen Sister. I love the colors in the window pic and the light is beautiful. I really like the last garage painting too. The soft curtain and the hard edges of the alley are in nice opposition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where to begin? Love your windows. The colors in the first one are magnificent. You can actually feel the sun and the ambience in the room. The colors of the last two are beautiful, too. The tree has a different feel in oil pastel than in the sketch and the houses through the back window has all the colors of a clear winter day. So lovely. I always like your sketches. Coincidentally, I have a tree with too many ornaments, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A little more of the interior in these. I like it, gives more of an impression of a viewer looking out the window, especially in the last one when the invisible hand is parting the curtain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the first window scene. And the last one too. All those shapes in the last are cool.

    ReplyDelete