Saturday, January 16, 2021

January 16, 2021—Elaine O.

While I'm looking for inspiration for my next masterpiece, I thought I'd paint my front door. I wanted to document the new paint job (other than a rough sketch) and it seems like a good follow up to the red door of last week. And I seem to recall that one of my first real paintings was of my front door. So, let's see if I got any better over the years.

Front Door        10x8"


 Other than that, I did some direct watercolor portraits (from magazines, before I recycled them)...

5" x 7" spread

...and sketched my new dryer. Sort of like a warranty card for when I try to remember when we bought it.

approx. 4.5" square

Then, I tried something I may want to do more of. I'm taking an "old master" painting I like and examining the composition, doing a value sketch and then a direct watercolor. This is a Sisley snow scene.

6" x 12" spread

 

3 comments:

  1. Joe has a postcard of that Sisley on his dresser! It was his favorite painting at the D’Orsay. You captured its snowy silence pretty well. Love the house portrait; that blue door is going to pop! Your portraits look good...I’ve kind of lost interest in people...painting them, that is...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can’t wait to see the door. I think a series of doors would be fun. There’s always mystery...what’s behind the door?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enter the casbah. It already looks monumental. You've gotten so skilled at direct watercoloring people, Elaine. Is there anything you can't do? Even a sketch of the dryer! The value study of the Sisley painting is great, especially as it uses the pencil media effectively. While the watercolor painting of it benefits from the value study, but still uses that media to its best potential. If you get my drift.

    ReplyDelete