Sunday, July 7, 2024

July 6, 2024 — Elaine O.

Getting there! The jacket and scarf are done and now it's on to the face, hair, and final touches.

14" x 10"

I've been filling a not-so-great sketchbook with blind contour drawings, just as a warm-up. Generally, I think the value of the blind contour is more in the process than the product. I find, though, that I actually like a few of my drawings and thought I'd try a larger one on watercolor paper with color (below). This one's neither accurate nor distorted enough to be interesting, but there is something I like. I just may have to do more.

12" x 9"


4 comments:

  1. Oh yeah, it is interesting. It's like a caricature, simplified, yet exaggerated. And the coloring is exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to wait for the star of the show to step into the painting before making any comments.

    Dave looks like an ex pug with a broken nose and a cauliflower ear.

    I think that you should not consider this like a subset of the big painting. It is complete all on its own.

    The part I like best is that jutting jaw, and the part I like least is the hair, though I am just saying that to complete the rule.

    Have you considered contour painting on your contour drawings? You could look while you load the paint on the brush, but after that it is eyes closed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it's not a subset; it's entirely separate. I just used the same reference photo. I hadn't considered blind contour painting. I'll have to think about it--it's either going to add a bit of eccentricity or be a totally chaotic mess.

      Delete
  3. I love the sketch. It only comes across as caricature if you know the reference photo, imo. Go for Dave in the big painting. He’s the star- you’ve got to get him in there !

    ReplyDelete