Tuesday, July 9, 2024

Alan Summer 5



 Am in Michigan with just my sketchbook, small pallet, and my water pen. So……..no big painting but I’m working on sketches from Chicago to complete my urban sketchbook.  



This is a sketch from Tuco and Blondies. I was intrigued by the umbrellas in the beer garden. 


I’m not fond of this alley sketch, but they cannot all be winners. That’s the problem with sketchbooks…the bad ones are side by side with other work. This is an alley behind my physical therapist’s. 

Here’s a quick and dirty on Yupo of moonrise in the Bahamas. No good but I may work on it.  Missing my scratching stick.

3 comments:

  1. It has a dreamy ambiance, kind of like Rousseau but without the details.
    My favorite part is the clouds and that murky green water, my least favorite is that sepia swath across the middle.
    Well of course this is just the way it looks now, but it will all be formed into something a little more realistic, but there will be something wild visible behind the image.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the sketch with the umbrellas. The minimal color palette and interesting lines and angles just make it! The moonrise is promising too. Right now, it reminds me of someone/something, but I can't say what or who. Maybe Gauguin for the colors and late Matisse for the shapes. I wouldn't guess moonrise but more like a storm rolling in. Anyway, I know it'll get better and better as you start lifting and scratching into the Yupo. Carry on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The yellow umbrellas against the light gray and blue looks great, not to mention the linear moves. Very nice. I like the alley way too. Especially the really wetly painted bottom part. I wonder if the building details could be blurred down too...The Yupo is already intriguing.

    ReplyDelete