Saturday, July 13, 2024

Alan Summer 6









 One of the nice things about painting on gessoed stretched canvas is that after you spray it with fixative you can hang it without the matting and framing hassle. That’s why I paint the sides as well. 


I’m not sure that the Sheridan el stop behind Byron’s is done, but here it is. I might need to add more power lines, but maybe not. 

Here are the previous iterations.  One from my sketchbook and another one that’s larger on 140# coldpress  


I like the sketch best.  What do you think?

Whilst drinking a beer at a 4th of July party, I noticed this chimney and thought it would make a nice closing to my urban Chicago sketch book. The fun part will be the bricks. 

This is a trading card sized painting of moonrise over the Bahamas. I thought it would be simple but it was harder than I thought. 

6 comments:

  1. I can see why people want to know sizes--that tiny moonrise surprised me. I thought it was larger from the blog entry. I love the clouds and the greens on that one. The canvas painting is both softer and more vibrant in person. I think the grain of the canvas works well with the subject--it's wall-worthy! I have to agree about the Sheridan El stop. The sketch has an urban vibe that the others lack. The other two seem too clean, bright and orderly. I thought the chimney was finished and the bricks were deliberately left undone. But if you think bricks are fun, have at them! I do like the composition of that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s funny how all three sketches have a different feel. The power lines and telephone pole are really the focus of the top one and the el stop is sort of the background. I like all three but that is my fav. Btw, that was my first el stop in Chicago. My first summer here I lived right next to the el tracks at 935 West Sheridan Road. I like the chimney composition with that slice of house. Have you ever looked at Paul Heaston’s stuff. He’s on IG and Twitter. He does a lot of different stuff but he loves old cars and campers. The chimney sketch reminds me of his stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Middle, top, and bottom finishing win, place, and show, on my leaderboard. I think you finished that gesso board thing with a bang, and I really, really, really, think that moonrise has to go big, big, big.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The canvas painting doesn't look as lively on the computer as it did in class. But it's still lovely in all ways, especially the composition. I usually don't care for the brush marks of the gesso, but in this case, it works in harmony with your subject/painting. It is interesting how different each of the Sherdian el paintings look depending on size and paper, et. al. The Yupo one looks great and doesn't need no stinking sign on it. The sketchbook one is really delightful. The larger, regular paper one is just plain boring compared to the others, don't you think? I do like the chimney sketch already. Although it looks to me like the perspective goes a bit off with the bricks on the left side as they move down. The moonrise is so cool, even more so now that we all now it's so tiny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct about the bricks. Unfortunately they’re in ink so that’s the way they will be. I’ll try to minimize them with paint.

      Delete