Monday, July 29, 2024

Alan Summer 8



 
Took some suggestions to make this chimney sketch better. Doesn’t make up for the bad perspective on the bricks. 


Addition to my rural sketchbook of grain elevators down by Kankakee. 5X10 on hot press. 


Don’t like this at all. The basic structure is ok but the colors are all wrong. Because it’s on canvas, the paint will bleed so I’ll have to take special care to change the colors. I also need to fix the reflections and to fortify the photographers on that spit of land photographing the moon. 11 X 14 on canvas board. 


Here’s a little trading card version on Yupo that is more like what I was looking for. 




5 comments:

  1. Having lived in Champaign for twenty years and ridden the train or the old grey dog back and forth from Chicago I am quite familiar with those elevators stretching down the horizon from sky to flat Earth. Knew a guy there by the name of Art Sinsabaugh who got kicked out of the Chicago School of Design and landed in Champaign and did these very long and short photos of the nearby landscape. No way to post it in these comments so I am going to have to make a post of it.

    That lighthouse looked okay in class but looking at it now next to the yupo trading card, I have to say the yupo looks much better to me, but I am guessing that that will not move you to do a bigger one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the grain elevators, particularly the panoramic format you chose. I have to agree with Ken--the small Yupo lighthouse has richer color and a better mood. Can you continue to layer color to make it richer and bluer? I like the cliff and the reflection--it's mostly the sky and water that seem pale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s what I meant when I said that I didn’t like the colors. I’ll try to make it richer.

      Delete
  3. The row of grain elevators are terrific. And my favorite part is the red stop sign with its buddy, the red fire hydrant. The Yupo lighthouse is just delicious.

    ReplyDelete