Sunday, July 21, 2024

Alan Summer 7



 I spent the week house painting ( a real house with latex enamel and stain ) so I didn’t get much watercolor painting done but I did finish the chimney. I thought some might like to see the reference photo to show what I saw. Inspiration can come from strange places. 


And here’s my sketch as the final one from my Chicago alley sketchbook. The brickwork sucks but I would do better next time.  8 X 6 on hot press. 

 

I was cruising through Southern Illinois a few weeks ago. I took some back roads so I could pull over and take some pictures. So I got pics of grain elevators that I was going to use in a rural sketchbook and lo and behold, I see Cris painting grain elevators of his own. But here it is anyway. 5 X 5 on hot press.

5 comments:

  1. I like your chimney a lot. The brick perspective doesn't bother me. I like the cropping and the textures. Just a lovely little sketch. Same with the grain elevators. I don't know if it's a midwest thing, but I truly love the elevators and the silos. And yours is different from Chris'. They're both very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The chimney looks heroic.

    I would enhance the line of the corner of the chimney facing us to carry the drama on down to the roofline.

    I like the blast of blue behind the chimney and lines of the rooftops. I like least the slant of the lines of the chimney, they should all have been parallel to the line of that plate above the chimney.

    Did you finish the ink drawing before putting on paint.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pop of blue looks great in both paintings, especially the chimney.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely painted. And good with the blues. I do wish the bricks worked better, but as you said, next time.

    ReplyDelete