Monday, January 22, 2024

People and Flowers


 Neither of these look like me, but they are based on an accidental selfie. I did the drawing first. I like its energy. I’d like to incorporate more of the energy of the drawing into the painting. I did a sketch on the watercolor paper but it turned out quite different than the original drawing. Oh well I like them both — they have an intensity and sense of concentration that I like.



I just love amaryllis and I painted a million of them long ago. The top one is a prelim sketch, the bottom is a version I started in class. I like where it’s going.
 

4 comments:

  1. I really like these. The drawing does have a great energy and, while the watercolor is calmer, she's so intriguing. I'd like to know both of these people. I'm glad you're doing amaryllises (amarylli?) again. I especially like the backlit quality of the first one and the way you're only including the necessary details. The colors of both are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the intensity of the painting, like she is trying to register for a class at Truman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like both of the self-portraits. Different energy, but energetic nevertheless. These are different than the ones you showed in class, right? Or you showed more of them then. That's it. Anyway the expressions you're expressing are effective. And the amaryllis sketch is right on with that background window and beyond. I luv the flower in the one you're working on now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember those amarylli from days of olde. I like the first one …looseness of the bloom in a luscious color.

    ReplyDelete