Sunday, January 28, 2024

01.28.24 CardioMD by SS

 After an extensive family leave, I returned to my art class with spare art paraphernalia to complete the portra it of my husband's cardiologist which I started last summer. Our young cardio is in her late forties of afro American origin & she styles her hair in various ways since we started consulting her during the pandemic. We respect her concern & compassion especially when we all first met each other wearing face masks during consultation visits. I am impressed by her expressive face after the pandemic


face mask restriction was lifted. I felt " I have a painting"! It has been a difficult &  learning process to paint a face of a darker complexion using  the normal pink skin tone color combination available in traditional fashion. It was a discovery that dark skin does not mean using automatically earth tones & dark to darker watercolors. I used my family leave to observe portraits of dark complexion. I have learned that all  portraits are of various colors, values, tones & perceptions. It was an amazing journey! 

5 comments:

  1. It’s a lovely portrait. The combination of colors works well. The glow of her complexion matches her beautiful smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you haven't lost a step. This is a fine portrait. The colors are warm and luminous and go well with her personality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, the sun is in her face, and she is looking good, and it all makes her happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your portrait style in infectious. I’d like to see them framed and in a row on a gallery wall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy to see you back in class and painting like you've never been away. Both the portraits you did were great and done in completely different styles. You can't help but smile when you look at this one.

    ReplyDelete