Sunday, January 28, 2024

Little tweaks, big tweaks…


 Here’s my amyrillis (sp?) portrait. I added a little more detail outside the window and softened the dark parts of the flower. I might try this again, I like the composition. It’s 11x15.



These are in the wrong order.the bottom one is my first attempt. I drew it based on a picture of my niece but, as Pat pointed out, the features are too elongated so she looks older. So I traced her photo for the top one, which looks more like her. These are both 8x8. It’s a photo from 1982, she was maybe 10 and we’re sitting at the lakefront in old Grant Park, waiting for fireworks or Venetian night. I’m going to visit her next month & id like to to give her this memento of her Chicago visit. We’ll see….fyi those little blue spots n the side are tape.  It’s coming along nicely, but I’m debating how much detail to put in the background…I think there’s enough.

6 comments:

  1. That backlit amaryllis really feels like being indoors on a gray January day with that burst of life. Just the right amount of added detail in the background. That portrait really captures a mood. I can see the difference in the head tilt on the two versions. Interesting! I love the way you're going. There's a real personality there--the hair, skin and clothing are magnificient. I'd keep the background soft. There's enough there to put her in a place but not so much as to upstage her. She's going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the second is a big improvement. Her face is more angled down and away and her hair ribbon is better placed. Even though she is in the city of big shoulders are smaller. The background is livelier, but you must have forgotten to include Marina City. How will people know it is Chicago?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the composition too. The blossom is interesting with lovely colors. It looks like the plate, which I assume the pot is sitting upon, is vertical instead of horizontal. Maybe it’s just point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forgot about the portrait——I like the quality of this piece. It’s funny that when you trace you get everything in the right place and then you can just paint. Your background work with muted colors are perfect for this IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I think the outside looks good with the flower painting and the plate does look a bit like a fan behind it as Alan mentioned. But could be easily altered with shadows. The revised portrait looks good and really gives a feeling of introspection. And the background reads well as is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The girl reminds me very much of Princess Charlotte. Good nose, ear and hand!

    ReplyDelete