Monday, January 29, 2024

Minimalism Shminanaliism


 I kind of liked this when I left class Saturday thinking maybe I don't need all that stuff I usually put in and maybe a slight tint for the sky would complete it.  I put in the tint Sunday, but all I could think was it was, well it looked a bit empty, a lot empty actually, and this minimalism thing is not for me.  Put in those two big cloudlike things  and now I see that that barge could use a little fire engine red and those trees need to be stronger and more clouds, and maybe a little more in the water, and I am back to my usual self.

And note how I have ventured from the orange-yellow-green arc of the color to the perilous blue-purple-magenta arc opposite of my comfort center.  I tell you I had one hand over my heart and I am not out of there yet.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, Ken! Is there any way to scrub out those stripey clouds? They look like they belong to another world. I absolutely love everything about this painting....except for the striped clouds. The soft ones at the horizon are beautiful too, but those stark lines? They are like fingernails on the chalkboard of my soul...well, maybe not literally, but they do make my heart sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually don’t mind the clouds. Maybe a bit artificial but clouds come in all shapes, sizes, and colors. I think you’re correct in that the barge needs more work. I think you need to start at the barge to step into the painting so something needs to draw the eye to it to start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paint those clouds the way you painted the water or the ones near the horizon. I like the contrast between the barge — right angles and architectural — and the softness of nature. But there’s nothing natural about those two dark lines of clouds…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geez guys, the painting is not done yet. Actually I worked on it this morning, and well, put in two more of them and added a fire engine red narrow line at the bottom of them so they look even more unnatural, but cool, you know.

      Delete
  4. Now you’re complaining about the plethora of comments on the blog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all. Let a thousand flowers bloom. All comments are welcome, and actually a, um, constructive criticism is worth a thousand "That's a masterpiece you are an artistic genius!" ' s.

      Delete
  5. Just wonderful. How about some mustard yellow and emerald green, maybe some more striped lines and you'll be back in business.

    ReplyDelete