Saturday, January 20, 2024

January 20, 2024 — Elaine O.

It was worth braving the cold to see everyone in person. All I managed today was this direct watercolor of a Degas statue in the D'Orsay museum. I used a sheet of paper that had been damaged around the edges, so didn't have much of an objective beyond trying to get back in my painting groove. But, while she doesn't have the elegance of the original and I still have some final touches to add, I don't hate it. 
 
Musee D'Orsay    14" x 11"

It's a good sketch, not a great painting. Still, it reminds me of that day and it got my brushes moving, so mission accomplished...until next week!

5 comments:

  1. Nice casual air about this one. Could be a New Yorker cartoon. What would be the punchline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the characters in the background-especially the blue haired ones. Very nice feel with this one. This is why we paint with watercolor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the contrast between what would be a casual dancer pose and the casual poses of the art viewers. You've got it all down in a minimum of strokes and colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I took a pic of the similar Degas at AI thinking I would paint it. I would have tried to closely cooy…this is so much better. Like the colored clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicely done! The animated background is the perfect foil for her erect posture. She seems to be looking down on the art patrons and thinking “What the hell, you guys? Stand up straight !”

    ReplyDelete