Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Bucolic scene….




Well, I guess this is finished, although it lacks pizazz imo. Of course, maybe that’s the point — it is the western suburbs. The other thing is from this angle, the garage looks so small in relation to its surroundings. In actuality, it’s huge compared to the old garage and the house. I did tone down the white trim. I’m just going to step away from this for a while and think about other things….


This is my first freehand attempt at painting Ruth. It looks nothing like her. It just amazes me how I can study a reference photo and then produce something totally different. Maybe I’ll have something closer to this  by Saturday…



4 comments:

  1. Nice. The little car is great. I remember ours. I have faith that you’ll come up with something interesting in that portrait. Freehand is really hard for me too but that’s why it’s painting and not photography.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the painting. It has a Hopper/Grant Wood feel to it. The sky is beautiful. The concrete is beautiful. The tree is beautiful. And I love the car! I can't decide about the hose, though. The first go at Ruth will look totally different as you add hair and refine features. And even if this version doesn't look exactly like her, it does look like a person... and a friendly, happy person at that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the hose is a distraction and you should have put those three little girls from Asteroid City in the chairs around the table.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hard to get excited about a brand new building. The little car though is a relatable toy that doesn’t go out of style.
    It’s a message…a kid lives here.

    The woman in the photo and in the painting reads to be much older than she is. Maybe push that little girl up into her face.

    ReplyDelete