Tuesday, September 26, 2023

What Does Hemingway Have In Common With Van Gogh?

 Ernest has been resting unfinished on my piano since class. I pulled out the one I did of him as a young man. Ears. He had ears in the younger version. The black background in the photo masked his left ear. So I went on line and found a colorized version of the photo reference. Gotta add that ear. 

I was thinking of a “maroonish” color for the sweater.   they’ve used a “burnt umberish maroonish” color which may be the way to go  






And then the tomatoes. 




3 comments:

  1. The tomato paintings are, as usual, glorious. I feel a little slow but it took awhile for me to get the Van Gogh/ear reference. I thought you were referring to brushstrokes--and that you'd done the black version ala Van Gogh. Anyway, I think maroon would work, but only if it's more of a heathered maroon...not too dark!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Ernest needs broad shoulders and that sweater should be orange, make that burnt orange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No room on the paper for his shoulders. To appease you, maybe an orangeish background …possibly burnt sienna. Has to have a background cause of spots that I messed up.

      Delete