Saturday, September 16, 2023

Alan Fall2

 So…..I finished the Muskegon beach house by darkening the sky and the roof and adding detail and shadowing to the rest.  I also reworked the rock field in front and the trees in the back.  I like the feel of it.



Here’s the sequence for the Italian Abby painting.

1.  Just free painted the basic structure and colors. 



2.  I took out paint from places that would be highlighted. 


3.   I put in the darker places and shapes to give it shape and depth. 



4.   I reworked the relationship between light and dark and cleaned up the plant life. 



Many liked the first version best and, maybe as an abstract painting, I agree and felt that way myself but the Abby comes through better in the last. 

The last on Yupo is a bouquet and tomatoes in a berry bowl on a really busy tablecloth. I did the tablecloth first and cut out the vase and bowl. Here it is without the cutouts. 




After I painted the vase and bowl, I waited for them to dry, I started cutting out the leaves of the flower and added a little color to distinguish them and help me place the flowers .




We’ll see what happens. I didn’t plan on doing this painting but I wanted to see if I could do it. I would do better with the flat circle if I tried it again. 






2 comments:

  1. I like the line and wash on the beach house. Also, it's interesting to see the progression of the abbey painting. I like the earlier stages, but I don't think you went too far. The tablecloth almost reads as a halo around the still life. It'll be fun to see where you go from here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably just me but I would like a paler sky in the first two. I like the series of stages on the abbey. The process looks like sculpture, starting out with a big rock and chipping details into it. Is that a Cezanne tilted perspective on the still life? Love it. I would fill in the leaves in an abstract way so all to blend with that outer layer of blue things on the table cloth.

    ReplyDelete