Monday, September 11, 2023

Alan Fall 1

 I’m finished with this painting. I washed his face with a rose wash to give him better color and I muted the shirt a little bit. 


This is a building near the Coast Guard station in my hometown of Muskegon MI. So I’ve basically put down the wash for the entire painting. I started with a pencil and a ruler because I wanted to get the proportions correct. Then I freehanded over the graphite with ink and erased the graphite so it didn’t look like I used a straight edge. Then I put in the washes to begin the color. I think it’s a good start and ready for more intense color  


A friend visiting Italy sent me this picture of an abbey in Italy and I thought it would make an interesting Yupo painting. The basic colors and shapes are done and now I have to carve out the actual shapes. 



5 comments:

  1. Very different subjects and treatments. Will be interesting to see what they looked like Saturday. You might want to take a photo of each painting after every session because, well because I would like to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think the portrait is finished. I like the glasses and the path of plaid patterns leading us through the painting. It'll be interesting to see where the last two go. I'm tempted to tell you to stop now on the last one--it's beautiful as is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting That your color palette is the same in all three…is the intentional? I like them all, especially the middle one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes after I’ve mixed a color on my palette, I think “that’s a good color “ and I use it again. The blues and sepia are right outa the tube. I tried to go with the same pallets but different techniques and styles.

      Delete