Sunday, September 3, 2023

Small Stuff…



 These two are 5 x 7….the baby looks nothing like the baby I’m trying to paint, but this might take a few tries. There are so many colors reflected in the skin in my reference photo. Any tips for painting brown skin? The bottom one is not Alaska, although it could be.it turned out a little busier looking than I intended.



These three are 4x6 or 4x5. The flower is a card for a friend — it’s a little too careful but I’m not interested enough to paint it again. The other two are adventures in color mixing and trying out a white gel pen. It looks a little weird imo…


Here’s another small one that’s watercolor with soft pastels. It’s kind of successful, although the black is too harsh.

I forgot that I did this big one, 9 x12. I was inspired by looking at Ken’s leaf painting. Also I bought some perelyne green and used a lot of it here.I was trying for that misty look, which I sort achieved, but that huge dark foreground just didn’t come out well, but I’m not sure how I should have painted it. I was also inspired by this painter Nancy Friedland https://instagram.com/nancyfriedland?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==
On Instagram. She paints these evocative night scenes that I really like. But of course she works in acrylic. And yes, I finally got myself registered and paid for, so I’m ready to go back to school! Looking forward to seeing everyone on Saturday!


4 comments:

  1. I love the baby! You've got the posture and the expression right. I use the same red/yellow/blue colors in darker skin, but more saturated. I also like the birch trees a lot. The first one is like an abstract pattern. I especially like the sun and colors between and behind the trees in the next few. Perylene green never worked for me, but I really like what you've done. It's so misty and atmospheric. Glad you registered, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the kid too. Toss away the photo, as we say a thousand times in glass nobody cares. Go on for your own bad self and see where it takes you. (In this phrase bad means good.)

    Like both the tree paintings. Looks like you are being very free. The colors sing.

    And what a deft use of perylene green. Very atmospheric. Summer's almost gone. If you squint you can almost see a woman in blue. Persephone returning to Hades to make way for, Old Man Winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The kid is good but the trees are fabulous. I’m reminded of trees that you did 5 years ago and these are sooooo much better. I like the last one too. All of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like baby. That’s how they be. Big head. Nicely loose. The hand with only two fingers does bother me. Like the white gel pens of birch trees like when you’re coming around a corner and only catch a glimpse.

    ReplyDelete