Sunday, October 16, 2022

Trees, trees, trees….


 Inspired by Elaine’s pastoral panting, I dug out my landscape format tablet and did something complete different.



I also did a couple of studies of this tree across the street from my house.I was trying to decide on whether to include the other tree or to use the landscape format again.

In the end, I did neither, choosing instead to just focus on the one tree. Simplifying the composition puts a lot of pressure on one element in the painting, but maybe that’s where I should focus my attention. Does anyone else think like this while they’re painting? Or what do you think about?

4 comments:

  1. Sara, you are the queen of trees! I love the use of the panorama paper for the backlit trees. As for the studies vs. the final...I think any of the options would have made a fine painting. They'd each have a different emphasis, but they'd each be beautiful and valid. Maybe a series? Anyway, your process seems like thumbnailing, but you went bigger and included color instead of just value. Either way, makes for a well-composed and intentional painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think about the next drink I’ll make later. Seriously, I always have trouble with this question. Why am I doing this painting? And how? Why don’t I just frame the photo? What did I see in my mind when I started this and what do I see as I go along and how does that change what I started out to do? I think that the last one will have a lot more interest. It already draws me in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always try to figure out what I like best about the photo and use it to paint something better than the photo.

      Delete
  3. I like the way the tall one is divided into horizontals and diagonals. Was not that crazy about the tree shadows at first because they are so thick, but now I see that they draw attention to the trees. Can't really see the sky and the dark grass very well in this photo. It's a problem because the internet wants to show the photo so that it is entirely on screen.

    ReplyDelete