Friday, October 28, 2022

‘Maters and peaches

I’ve decided to go back to try some still lifes. After seeing Cezanne’s still lifes and reviewing my own I decided to try some more. I have a program on my desktop that goes through my photos and displays them randomly on the screen. I noticed that every time one of my still lifes came up I really liked them. 


The first one is a Yupo painting I did after a visit to the orchard in Michigan where we bought tomatoes and peaches. Not a combination you usually see.




The next one is a combination of a Cezanne still life, one from Chris Stebley and one of my own. I’m not happy with the composition. I feel that the squashes and the candle should be bigger and the candle should be placed forward. The grapes are too small. I could spend more time on it but it would never satisfy me because the structure will always be wrong. I’ll try again later. 

 


I was in Michigan last week during this glorious fall.  It made me pause the still lifes to do some landscapes.  I started this view of the lake at sunset.  It looks like a winter scene now but red, oranges, and golds are coming.




 





4 comments:

  1. I really like these! The second still life...you may not like the composition, but the colors are beautiful. I like the last one as a winter painting! I'm sure it'll be lovely once the fall colors are in, but I like the stark graphic quality it has now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the vibrancy of those tomatoes. You could bring the peaches up to that level…using cool colors, which would push them back visually. I agree the colors in the Cezanne still life are beautiful, but almost everything is painted in mid tones. It needs more value contrast…great confident start on the landscape!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree and that was my next move but no matter what I would do, it would still be unsatisfactory because of the composition

      Delete
  3. I really like the first one, the second not so much, maybe too many separate things so it doesn't have a sharp focus. Just a few details on the landscape but it looks very promising.

    ReplyDelete