Saturday, June 15, 2024

Alan Summer 2


 I’m finished with the iris. All of a sudden, it was done. 



I was wrong about the direction of the alley painting. It was sunrise with the sun coming up in the east. I’m rarely up and about at this time of day but it is sunrise. It’s why I like that far tree so much. 


I’m trying to see if the small urban sketches can translate into full sized paintings. I’m quite fond of the sketch behind Byron’s so I’m enlarging it slightly. I might have to be a better drawer and I might have to get some new maskit.

  

4 comments:

  1. As usual yupo steals the show. The yellow exploding into the purple.

    In the alley something seems off with that green hanging below the tree. Everything else looks crisp, but that green looks soggy.

    Dawn behind Byron's (I'm assuming dawn, something about the sky, and maybe the lack of shadows like when the sun hits things on the horizontal. Like the sky like I said. Like that I can see the alley itself. Like the horizontal lines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the iris. The yupo is an especially good paper choice as it handles the transitions between complements well without creating mud. Nothing like a good alley painting--and I love the colors in yours. Byron's will be good. I like the composition with the color banding and the horizontal tiers, broken by the telephone pole. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, summer is just bursting off that iris painting….i just love the funkiness of the alley sketch - the trash cans, your tree squiggles, the assuredness of all the ink! Will that translate to a bigger sheet of paper? I’m interested in seeing how it goes, as thats similar to what I trying to do with my pencil portraits….

    ReplyDelete