Sunday, June 9, 2024

Alan Summer 1

 Continuing my flowers on Yupo theme (you might not have noticed that there was one) here’s the beginning of an iris in my friend’s garden. A lot of pigments pushing each other around. I removed quite a lot to get me back to some white space. 


While waiting for the paint to dry, I started this small sketch of the lot behind Byron’s on Irving. I’m really starting to like these little things. This tells me that a larger version should be in the works although I don’t know if it would be any better. 



5 comments:

  1. The colors of that iris on Yupo were magnificent. Even better in person than on screen. I do like that sketch of the Byron's lot. There's so much going on--the El sign and tracks, the wires, the shadowed buildings under the track, the skyline above and all the textures--what's not to love?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alleys, so filthy and folksy, like that friend of yours who keeps a filthy house but has fine tales to tell.

    i'd like to see a bit of the alley to bind together the bottom of the painting.

    I like the way the sky is so simple behind the welter of, of all that stuff. An el train would nicely echo that long horizontal thing in the middle, but then it might upstage the whole scene.

    Did you deliberately use a limited palette or is that just the way things turned out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A train would make it an entirely different story. I painted it using a limited travel palette.

      Delete
  3. Yupo is looking good. Your sketch is really working. I'm not the greatest fan of ink with watercolor, but your judicious use of ink is perfecto in this urban sketch. Everything about it works, composition, color, texture, style. Kudos to you kid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sketch is pretty perfect. Some of the charm of pen and ink street sketches is so much captured in a small space. They don’t really translate well to larger paintings, imo.

    ReplyDelete